FI4Fl0PGX14tiLVN8g1HFXcDgOg The Pitbull Palace: Dog Park vs. Dog Walk

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Dog Park vs. Dog Walk

My pit bull Motley and I pass the dog park every time we go on our walks and it's so tempting to let him play with the other dogs(Motley is well socialized and gets along really well with other dogs), but something always holds me back. Maybe it's because Motley's a pit bull and I hate seeing people give us the "look"(if your a pit bull owner you know what I mean) when we come around or look like we might stop at the dog park.

The, "Here comes the pit bull, its time to go home," look.

Actually the main reason is because most people let their dogs in the dog park and don't pay attention to them. They'd rather talk to other people instead of paying attention to the reactions of the dogs to each other. I'm not saying this is always the case, but you never know if the other dogs have been vaccinated or how they may act towards other dogs. 

I may be a little extra cautious about all of this because I'm an owner of a pit bull, but I'd always rather be safe than sorry. Like I've said before, if anything bad were to happen, Motley would probably be blamed. That's why we have a fun alternative!!

We get together with some doggy friends on a regular basis and take hikes!! If gives the pups a chance to be around other dogs, socialize, and get a tonnnnn of exercise. If you're ever in Virginia Beach, Virginia I have to recommend one place!!

First Landing State Park, also known at Seashore State Park to locals, is the place to hike if your looking for four to five hours of fun with your dog. I recommend First Landing because your not just stuck in the forest the entire time. There you get stroll through the woods, take time for the dogs to swim at the beach, and even open areas to throw the ball around!






If your passing through and not from the area, First Landing also has some of the best campgrounds around. Might I add that they are dog friendly too!!  

It's definitely a fun place to go and if your in the area its a great experience for your dogs. I know not everyone has time to hike all the time but we just wanted tell our alternative to just playing at a dog park.

Motley and I hope everyone is doing GREAT!!!





6 comments:

  1. I just want you to know that not all dog park people leave when they see a Pit. Some of us go out of our way to interact with the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People won't even walk past my mom's car when I am in the passenger seat. If they only knew I would only kiss them and not bite.
    We joined your site today and will be back to see you.
    ♥ Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Erin shanendoah yall are the type of people we love meeting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those photos are great, that looks like an amazing place to hike! My cousin lives in Virginia Beach, so if Portia and I ever take a trip up there we'll have to check that place out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks gorgeous! Who needs dog parks when you can hang out with dog friends, hike and swim! We do playdates and hikes as well. When Lily was a puppy, we took her to a dog park with friends. I'm less and less impressed with dog owners and Lily has been bit so many times by "friendly" dogs. They can't read their own dogs, putting other dogs at risk. Lily has never retaliated in any attack on her, but as her owner, it is my job to protect her - from other dogs, from ignorant people. I vow to always keep safe and staying away from dog parks in our area is one way that I can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pitbulls! The only reason I would leave a park when a pitbull shows up is if the pitbull actually is showing unprovoked aggression. I have never seen that happen.

    But I generally avoid dog parks too. I'm just not much of a dog park person. My dog and I have more fun going on hikes like you describe. The people at dog parks generally irritate me.

    ReplyDelete