FI4Fl0PGX14tiLVN8g1HFXcDgOg The Pitbull Palace: Pitbull IS NOT a Breed

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Pitbull IS NOT a Breed

I decided I wanted to bring this topic of discussion up because of a little debate I had with an anti-pitbull person about dog attacks. His main statement that got to me was that if you look at statistics, pitbulls commit the most attacks/fatalities on humans. Before I get on the topic at hand, I would like to say go look at real statistics and you'll see that was an incorrect statement.

The question I really posed to him was, "Did you know Pitbull is NOT a breed?" Many people get this confused or don't take the time to look into it. Although there is an American Pitbull Terrier, there are several other breeds of dogs that get placed into the pitbull category. Here is a couple of the breeds that are considered pitbulls by most people:

American Staffordshire Terrier



Staffordshire Bull Terrier



American Pitbull Terrier


These are the three breeds that normally get classified as pitbulls but even other breeds such as Boxers, and American Bulldogs get placed in the pit-like category. 


        
I only bring this up because in statistics, they do not differentiate between what breed it actually was. All attacks by any of those dogs above get clumped together greatly increasing the number of so called pitbull attacks. Where as Golden Retrievers or Beagles are a single breed not clumped together with anymore breeds. I hope that makes a little sense.

I just wanted to make it known to those that don't know that pitbull is more of a classification than an actual breed of dog.  I hope I was able to clarify it in a way people can understand. What other dogs that you know get classified as a pitbull?





5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a whole slew of breeds that fall into the "pit bull" catagory and sadly, very few people know the difference between the breeds. Among them are Cane Corso, American Bullys, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Bulldog (which is vastly different from an American Bully), and Bull Terrier (Spuds McKenzie type dogs). Some of these are very distinct, others are more difficult to tell apart to someone who doesn't know the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true any "bully" breed is bundled into a pitbull category and also with the bad stigma any mix breed that might have kinda maybe looked like a bully breed is automatically a pitbull. I was doing research the other night and found that they would say 52 percent were pitbull type dogs and I find that to be unfair. Then why not classify hunting dogs, working dogs and all other dogs in groups of "type"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking at some of your posts on this website and I conceive this web site is really instructive! Keep putting up..
    tuff pitbulls

    ReplyDelete